Here's the next update in the saga of my (as of yet un-named) tendril of the Great Devourer.
I have actually finally managed to get some sort of leadership painted up and finished so the ravening swarms aren't wandering around aimlessly. Not an HQ yet but the awesome Tyranid Warriors themselves. So at least when I play I'll have some synapse coverage. Granted all of my models will be bunched together to take advantage of it but whatever.
Here's a few pics first off...
These guys were really interesting to do for a few reasons. Firstly I had to think in gaming terms how I would use them. This led me to thinking of multiple weapon variations and battlefield roles. So, with a can do attitude, some clippers and green stuff I set about magnetising the bodies and arms of the 3 warriors. Let me tell you, this was no easy task and it wasn't till the last one that I really got it nailed. Plus my magnets are too big.....not to worry, I found ways around it. Let me just say that liquid green stuff is my new best friend! :D
If anyone was interested I'll do a post about it. I may anyway just to actually remind myself how I did it for future broods!
The second reason was that they were a challenge. I had only tried my paint scheme out on smaller 'nids and wasn't sure how it would translate to a slightly bigger one. I think it worked all right but I quickly learned that I need a bigger dry brush. The one I have is great for 28mm models but anything bigger and you can really see the individual brush strokes. More expense it seems but it'll be worth it in the long run.
I also really enjoyed adding a few more spot colours on these guys. A little feedback would be useful though; As far as the Devourers go do you guys think I should paint the ribs on the barrel of the guns in the same green colour as the tubing or leave as is (an irritated flesh look)? I couldn't decide so went the easier route but I'm willing to take suggestions.
Almost forgot as well, This was the first time I've used cork on a models base. Bloody love it! I think it just adds that little bit of extra detail that makes bigger models look more dynamic. If anyone hasn't tried this out before, do it! You totally won't regret it.
All in all a success and a push to try an even bigger nid next. He has actually already arrived and is waiting on my workbench as we speak. This one is going to be a lot of fun. I'd say it's probably the biggest conversion job I've taken on yet. Wish me luck!
I'll leave you with a few more pics of the swarm. 31 beasties and counting...
As always, thanks for looking.