So first of all I'd like to say hi to the few new followers that Have appeared over the last few days! Hopefully you'll find some of the stuff I hobble together entertaining and I look forward to any comments or thoughts you guys have on any of my finished projects!
So what have I been up to? Nowhere near as much as I thought that I would get done on my week off. That's not a bad thing though as I have managed to get myself thoroughly engrossed in Skyrim again. All those caves aren't going to explore themselves are they?!
On the painting front I did manage to get one of my projects to a finished point;
Into the Fires of Battle....
I've really enjoyed painting this guy for a variety of reasons. Firstly, this was my test project for my new airbrush! God it's fun to play with. The coverage and control of tone I managed to get on the armour plates was really cool. It was also much less scary than I thought it would be to use this piece of kit. No horrendous mistakes were made which was a relief and I feel that I learned a lot about pressure, paint thinning, technique etc as I went on.
As I said, I only painted the Salamander Green armour using the airbrush. I used 3 shades of green; Caliban, Warpstone Glow and Moot. I attempted some light zenithal highlighting on the arms and legs, following the curve of the armour which turned out really well I think. I also attempted some gradient shading on the front armour plates which is now a little tough to see thanks to the weathering, oh well...
The second reason this was great fun is that I wanted the model to look thoroughly beaten up. Like it had actually seen war and been on campaign for a long time! I used two separate techniques to do this. Firstly tactically using washes to darken areas, add streaks, scorch marks (I particularly like his fists!) etc. I used combinations of Badab Black, Agrax Earthshade and an old GW Chestnut Ink for the heavy scorch marks on the flamer, melta and exhausts.
Secondly I used the old sponge battle damage technique. Adding a small amount of paint to a ripped up piece of sponge and lightly dabbing the areas you want to be damaged. It worked a treat! I used Chaos Black as the base for the scratches, highlighted with Chainmail and then applied Badab Black and Agrax Earthshade washes to dull down the metal.
I also attempted a lava themed base. Like he was actually fighting on Nocturne! I used wet blending to get the lava effect and scorched the stone using Chestnut Ink. I think it turned out alright actually, even if the base is way too small.....and square.....it's all I had alright!!!
...Unto The Anvil of War!